Filing for Unemployment Insurance Claims

Layoffs, bankruptcies, and other forms of legal dismissal of workers due to economic conditions can allow for the unemployed to apply for unemployment insurance while he is looking for a new job to replace the previous one. The government through the Department of Labor can provide temporary financial assistance to support his daily needs in the absence of a stable income. This form of financial support is also known as UI. In order to enjoy the benefits of UI, an eligible worker must first meet certain requirements. Funding for UI comes from taxes imposed on employers.

An eligible worker who files for UI is one who meets the definition for the unemployed. When he has lost his job involuntarily and had been removed for reasons not of his fault, is actively seeking for a job, and is physically capable to work and ready to work anytime, then he is ready to apply for a UI claim by paper, phone, or through online sites of the unemployment insurance office of your state.

Of course, this benefit may be abused by lazy people. Therefore, the processing for unemployment claims is not a lenient one. The department verifies all information provided by the applicant that pertains to his identity, employment history, and job search efforts. An eligible worker must prepare all the necessary documents and other requirements in order to pass the process. All names that he uses while working must be given. He must provide his social security number. A state issued driver’s license or identification card is also asked. He must also make sure that the mailing and residence address he provides has a zip code and the telephone numbers has the corresponding area code. The last dates of employment with previous employers along with their contact information should be provided and if working part-time the department will inquire about the number of working hours each week. Usually the department will ask about the employer information in the last 18 months. An alien identification number must be given when not a US citizen and working in the US.